10 Questions to Ask Your Nephrologist
If you are reading this, you’ve probably just been diagnosed with a type of kidney disease. You have started a battery of tests and your days are spent going from one doctor to the next. You probably feel as if your head is swirling from all the information you’ve been given. You spend your appointments trying to keep up with all the information, and your nights trying to understand it. Now is the time to stop for a second, take a deep breath and focus. Here is a list of 10 crucial questions to ask your nephrologist at your next appointment. We recommend you write the answers down, so that you can look over them later and refer to them as needed.
- What is my diagnosis? What is my prognosis?
- Are there additional tests I should be undergoing? How often should I undergo blood tests?
- Am I suffering from any of the common complications associated with kidney disease? How should these complications be monitored and treated?
- Will my kidney disease progress? What symptoms should I expect as my disease progresses? What symptoms should I be looking out for?
- What are my treatment options, both short and long term?
- What are the possible side effects of my treatment?
- How will my treatments affect my day to day living?
- Are there changes should I be making in my life style that will slow down the disease progression?
- When should I be contacting my family doctor or nephrologist, or going to the emergency room?
- Where can I find additional information about kidney disease? Are there support groups you can recommend?
While a diagnosis of end stage renal disease may seem earth shattering, with proper medical care and monitoring you can still lead a full, busy and fulfilling life. For more information about living with renal disease, hemodialysis and other treatment options, please continue visiting our blog. Visit our website to learn more about VasQ™, our revolutionary support device for AV fistulas.